The conference venue is the Perdido Beach Resort, which is located on the beach facing the Gulf of Mexico, with approx. 346 hotel rooms, 22 meeting rooms, and 45,000 square feet of conference space. The resort has 4 restaurants, a deli, a coffee shop, 3 bars (poolside, terrace, and indoor), and indoor and outdoor pools, fitness center, and private beach. Free parking and WIFI is provided to all conference guests. Regular meetings similar in size to the US HABs meeting are held at this hotel annually.
Gulf Shores & Orange Beach
The city of Gulf Shores-Orange Beach has approximately 80 restaurants and bars and many local attractions close to the resort including: Dolphin and Whale watching tours (several local options exist), The Wharf Entertainment District with hundreds of fun activities, shopping, dining, movies, a marina, events amphitheater, Ferris wheel and more! (4.2 mi), Perdido Key State Park (5.8 mi), Hummingbird Zipline Course (6.4 mi), Gulf State Park Fishing Pier (6.6 mi), Gulf State Park (7 mi), Alabama Gulf Coast Zoo (9.1 mi), OWA Entertainment Destination (12.9 mi), National Naval Aviation Museum (18.0 mi), Fort Morgan (30.0 mi), and USS Alabama (53.4 mi). Also, the Blue Angels are scheduled to practice in the area November 5-7.
To get around the Orange Beach area, you will find ample options, including rental cars, taxis, shuttles, and Uber. Staff at the Perdido Beach Resort can also provide transportation guidance.
Perdido Beach Resort
We have reserved many rooms at the conference location and strongly encourage participants to stay at this hotel - Perdido Beach Resort, 27200 Perdido Beach Blvd., Orange Beach, AL 36561, phone 800-634-8001, https://www.perdidobeachresort.com/
When contacting the hotel (800-634-8001), please use the following information to the get the block rates.
Regular rate: $108/night for a single or double room -
Group name: HAB Conference 2019, Booking ID# 16042
Government rate: $105/night for a single or double room - Group name: HAB Conference 2019, Booking ID# 16471
Upgraded rooms are also available (rates are per night):
Gulf Front ($144), Courtyard Suite ($184), One-bedroom Executive Suite w/ Parlor ($244), Two-bedroom Executive Suite w/ Parlor ($364), Club Level Pass View ($154), Club Level Pool View ($169), Club Level One-bedroom Executive Suite w/ Parlor ($294), Club Level Two-bedroom Executive Suite w/ Parlor ($414)
- 29 miles to Pensacola International Airport (PNS) - 2430 Airport Blvd., Pensacola, FL
- 60 miles to Mobile Downtown Airport at Brookley (BFM) - 1891 9th St., Mobile, AL
- 72 miles to Mobile Regional Airport (MOB) - Terminal Drive, Mobile, AL
- 73 miles to Destin-Fort Walton Beach Airport (VPS) - 1701 State Rd. 85 North, Eglin AFB, FL
- 127 miles to Gulfport-Biloxi International Airport (GPT) - 14035 Airport Rd, Gulfport, MS
- 152 miles to Northwest Florida Beaches International Airport (ECP) - 6300 W. Bay Pkwy., Panama City, FL
- 169 miles to Dothan Regional Airport (DHN) - 800 Airport Dr. Midland City, AL
- 181 miles to Montgomery Regional Airport (MGM) - 4445 Selma Hwy., Montgomery, AL
- 209 miles to Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport (MSY) - 900 Airline Dr, Kenner, LA 70062
- 11 miles to Jack Edwards National Airport (GUF) - 3190 Airport Drive, Gulf Shores, AL
- 74 miles to Destin Executive (DSI) - 1001 Airport Rd., Destin, FL
- 92 miles to Trent Lott International Airport (PGL) - 18301 Saracennia Rd., Moss Point, MS
Student and Manager Travel Awards
The National HAB Committee is now
accepting applications for travel support for students and
managers. These funds are being provided by the National
Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration National Centers for
Coastal Ocean Science (NOAA/NCCOS) and will be used to help defray
the travel costs of U.S. students and postdocs attending the 10th
Symposium on Harmful Algae in the U.S. The deadline to
apply is 31 July 2019. Learn
more about this opportunity here.
The deadline to apply is 31 July 2019. Learn more about this opportunity here.